Incontinence is an involuntary loss of or bowel motion. While some people think that incontinence is a sensitive issue; however, it is a widespread problem. It is necessary to control this condition because the severity can vary from a small leak to a complete loss of bladder control. If you suffer from poor bladder and bowel control symptoms, bed protectors are a practical way of protecting your mattresses, making your life simple, and increasing confidence. This article covers two essential products that will help manage your incontinence.
Causes of Incontinence
While there are plenty of reasons for this condition but the leading causes are:
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Spinal Injuries
Incontinence bed pads are absorbent pads that protect the mattress from involuntary bowel motion. You can place the pads below or above the liner as per your choice. They will absorb the liquid and protect your furniture and mattress from further damage. But most importantly, they provide comfort and a good night’s sleep. They offer higher levels of absorbency and are hygienic as you can throw them away after one use. Following are some benefits of bed pads:
- They help protect the floor under the portable commode or bedside toilet.
- You can use these pads for a wheelchair, couch, chair, etc.
- A disposable underpad prevents the car seat from stains.
Three Types of Pads
- Classic Pads: Classic Rectangular Pads come with pouch pants that have
a waterproof backing. The stay-dry fabric between the pad and skin ensures that the goes into the pad and not elsewhere.
- Insert Pads: They do not have a waterproof backing and, therefore, suitable for light to moderate urinary incontinence. You can use these pads with pull-up pants.
- Shaped Pads: These pads fit the body, thus reducing the risk of any leakage. With a waterproof backing and dry stay layer, these pads fall into two categories: small and large.
Things to Look for in Under Pads
- Check if the pad doesn’t move to ensure there is no leak.
- In most cases, you will use the pad throughout the night. Which means you need an underpad that provides high absorbency.
- Ensure that the underpad you are buying provides comfort and doesn’t cause skin irritation.
Incontinence Pants for Men
These pants are suitable for those who are fully mobile and independent. Secondly, these pants are ideal for individuals with light or moderate incontinence. So, if you are somebody with stress incontinence, you would want to prefer buying these. They look and feel like any regular underwear, and therefore, they are easy to put on and remove. The types of incontinence pants for men are:
- Y-Front: Traditional Y-front opening, which extends across the front for full coverage and security.
- Boxer Style: They come in a masculine boxer style design with an elasticated waistband. They are comfortable and long-lasting.
Benefits of Incontinence Pants
- Gives a sense of flexibility and freedom
- Option for both washable and disposable pants
- A comfortable and elasticated waist
- Suitable for those with an active lifestyle
- Different sizes to choose from
Things to Look for in Incontinence Pants
The right pant depends on the severity of the condition, your preferences, and skin type. However, before purchasing a pant, consider the absorbency level and ensure that it fits you perfectly.
Unmanaged incontinence can lead to feelings of stress and embarrassment. Sometimes, older adults deny leaving the house because of the fear of an unwanted accident. This can affect their lifestyle and confidence. Managing incontinence by using products like disposable pads, incontinence pants for men, etc. will help overcome this challenge.
It is better to consult a doctor before choosing the right product. They will guide you to choose what suits you best based on the severity of incontinence.